About Novi Sad


Novi Sad is the second largest city in Serbia, and the capital of the Autonomous province of Vojvodina. It is placed on the banks of the river Danube, next to the national park Fruška Gora.

What differentiates Novi Sad from the other cities in Serbia is a wide diversity of nationalities, cultures and religions. Five Orthodox churches, the Jewish synagogue and the Catholic cathedral in the very heart of Novi Sad symbolize the multiculturalism of this city. As the second biggest city in Serbia, Novi Sad is one of the major cultural centers in the country, and it has been selected as the European Capital of Culture for the year 2021.

Some of the main cultural events that take place in Novi Sad every year are theatre festival “Sterijino pozorje”, traditional children’s festival “Zmajeve decije igre”, and the famous “EXIT” – one of the best music festivals in Europe.

Novi Sad is a university city, a city of museums, galleries, libraries, and theatres. It is a center of well developed journalistic and publishing industries, radio and television. Novi Sad is the seat of Matica Srpska and a city of fairs with many traditional and worldwide recognized international manifestations. It is a railway and road crossing on the main international railroad from Athens, i.e. Istanbul to Budapest.

 

Serbian language is in the official use in the City and so is the Cyrillic alphabet. Hungarian, Slovak and Ruthenian are also in the official use, along with their alphabets, in accordance with the Law and the Decision of the City Assembly of Novi Sad. 



History of Novi Sad

According to historians, anthropologists and archeologists, the area of Novi Sad was inhabited 4500 years BC. Many civilizations rode through this area: Celts, Romans, Visantins, Ostroghotes, Avars. Some of them stayed for a while and others moved forward. 

The history of modern Novi Sad begins in the late 17th century, when this area became part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Under the Empress Maria Teresa, Novi Sad and the nearby areas were developing fast both in the cultural and in the historical way. On February 1, 1748, Novi Sad was proclaimed as “Free Royal City”. Today, 260 years later, with its 300,000 citizens, Petrovaradin Fortress, river Danube, Fruska gora and its monasteries, Novi Sad became the most desirable destination for young Europeans. Warmth, hospitality, diversity of languages, cultures, and nationalities, transforms Novi Sad to a cosmopolitan city. 

Places of Interest

Petrovaradin Fortress

 

The historic Petrovaradin Fortress is built high on the banks of the River Danube, offering stunning views over the city of Novi Sad. It is an ancient fortress site originally occupied by the Romans, and re-built by the Austro-Hungarian Empire to defend against the Turks in the 17th Century. Tsar Leopold began the work on its construction, but it was finished by tsar Josef, son of the Empress Maria Teresa. It received its first crew in 1702 (a regiment of Hungarian hussars, light cavalry and units of Serbian hayduks).

During the First and the Second World War it was a military garrison and that is what it remained until 1951, when it was turned into a civilian object, used for cultural, artistic and tourist purposes. The Clock Tower (Sahat Kula), a monumental object on the bastion of St. Lui (Ludvig of Baden) dominates the whole military fortress.
Citadel Petrovaradin

The historic Petrovaradin Fortress is built high on the banks of the River Danube, offering stunning views over the city of Novi Sad. It is an ancient fortress site originally occupied by the Romans, and re-built by the Austro-Hungarian Empire to defend against the Turks in the 17th Century. Tsar Leopold began the work on its construction, but it was finished by tsar Josef, son of the Empress Maria Teresa. It received its first crew in 1702 (a regiment of Hungarian hussars, light cavalry and units of Serbian hayduks).

During the First and the Second World War it was a military garrison and that is what it remained until 1951, when it was turned into a civilian object, used for cultural, artistic and tourist purposes. The Clock Tower (Sahat Kula), a monumental object on the bastion of St. Lui (Ludvig of Baden) dominates the whole military fortress.

Serbian National Theater

The new building of the Serbian National Theatre, by the architect professor dr Viktor Jackiewitcz, is suited in the center of the town. The building opened on March 28, 1981 (a day after the World Theatre Day). In the 120th season of its existence, the Serbian National Theatre got its own building for the first time. That date was than established as the Day of the Serbian National Theatre, when the results of previous season are evaluated, and the best individual and collective achievements are awarded.

Serbian National Theater Novi Sad

The building itself spreads out on more than 20,000 square meters, housing the Opera (with the Choir and Orchestra), Drama and Ballet ensembles, performing on four stages. The ballet, orchestra and choir rehearsing rooms are in its premises too. The workshops are placed in the building too, except the “Kombinat” that produces the heavy equipments and decorations.

Dunavska Street

The most charming street in Novi Sad is Dunavska Street. Very short, in the heart of the center, it is full of colorful facades, many advertisements and shops. It looks like the time has stopped there. Straight from it you get to Dunavski Park.

 

Dunavska Street

Catholic Cathedral

One of the symbols of Novi Sad, neo-gothic cathedral built during the period of 1893 – 1895. is situated in the main center square of Novi Sad, Square of Freedom. Cathedral has beautiful tall and thin shafts. It is recognizable by its tall clock tower, and vitrages made in Budapest. It has been built on the place of previous church from the mid 18 century and is devoted to St. Mary.

Cathedral

Synagogue

The building of the new synagogue, the fifth to be erected on the same location since the 18th century, became a major project for the entire Jewish community of Novi Sad under the leadership of Dr. Karl Kohn, who served as its president for nine years (1895-1906). 

Synagogue

The building work of the Novi Sad synagogue started in 1905 and was finished in 1909. The new synagogue was part of a larger complex of buildings that included on both sides of the synagogue two edifices decorated in a similar pattern. One building sheltered the offices of the Jewish Community and the residences specially built for the synagogue officials, while the second building served the Jewish school. Located in Jevrejska (Jewish) Street, close to the city center, the synagogue has since its inauguration been recognized as a landmark of Novi Sad.

Matica Srpska

Matica srpska was founded by patriotic Serbian intellectuals and rich traders in 1826 in Pest, and move to Novi Sad in 1864. Today, it occupies the heritage building of Mrs Marija Trandafil, the famous philanthropic from Novi Sad. The building was built in 1912, in pseudo classicist style according to the project by Momcilo Tapavica (an architect, a top grade sportsman, and the first Serb to participate in the Olympic games). It includes the offices of journal “Letopis of Matica srpska”, a rich library, an art gallery and a publishing house. In front of the building there are sculptures of all the presidents of Matica srpska: Jovan Hadzic, Sava Tekelija, Teodor Pavlovic, Platon Atanackovic, Tihomir Ostojic and Vasa Stajic. The Matica srpska Society was one of the initiators of the Novi Sad Agreement on the Serbo-Croatian language (1954), and led the action for making the unique orthography of the language (1960). They compiled The Vocabulary of Serbian Standard Literary Language in six volumes (1967-1976). 

Matica Srpska

Matica srpska publishes the “Letopis of Matica srpska” magazine, which is one of the oldest in the world, as it has been continuously published since 1824. The Law of the Matica srpska Society (1986) regulates the matters of endowment and legacy, given by the national benefactors, and how the money is spent for various cultural and educational purposes. 


City Hall

It is one of four monumental buildings on Liberty Square (Trg Slobode), the main city square. It was built in 1895 and designed by a well-known architect Gyorgy Molnar. The two-floor building is in the neo-baroque style, so the interior is richly decorated. There are 16 allegorical statues, the works of Julije Anika, along the facades. You can see the town’s coat of arms on the upper part of the facade facing the square. The building is also decorated by a high tower with the bell of St. Florian – Matilda. Today, the city hall is the seat of local authorities, i.e. the Executive Council the Assembly of Novi Sad, which is the executive body of the City Assembly. 

City Hall

The Congregational Orthodox Church of St. George

The Congregational church of Novi Sad is dedicated to the Holy Great Martyr George. It was built in baroque style in 1734, during the time of the Empress Maria Theresia, the patriarch Arsenije IV Jovanovic, and the archpriest Visarion Pavlovic. It burnt down during the bombing in 1849. It was rebuilt in 1860-80, and the last reconstruction took place in 1905. The new tower with new bells from Budapest was built at this time. Twenty-six icons on the iconostasis, two historical paintings above the choir-stalls and the two great icons, on the Godmother’s and the archpriest’s thrones, were made in 1905 by Serbian academic painter Paja Jovanovic, who also supervised the wall decorations. The window vitrages were made by Imre Zseler in Budapest, after the drawings of Paja Jovanovic. The wall paintings were made by Stevan Aleksic. The church is located in Pasiceva Street. 

Church of the Great Martyr St. George (the Congregational Orthodox Church)
Vigil: Saturdays and holidays at 17h
St. Liturgy: Sunday, holidays at 9h, Saturday after the morning service 

 
The Congregational Orthodox Church of St. George

The Three Saint Bishops Church

This church was build in 1718, by the Serbs who settled to the periphery of the former Petrovaradin Trench, after they moved from the village Almas. The original church was made of wood, and the larger one was built on the same place in 1733, and rebuilt in 1797. It is the biggest Orthodox Church in Novi Sad. It has acquired its present look at the end of the XVIII century, when it was renovated for the last time in the early classicism style. Wood carving was done by Aksentije Markovic, the iconostasis and wall paintings by Arsenije Teodorovic, the famous painter, who was buried in the churchyard. In 1905 Uros Predic painted the icon of the Virgin Mary on the throne. The church is located in Almaska Street. 

Church of Three St. Bishops (Almaska Church), 13 Almaska street
Vigil: Saturdays and holidays at 18h
St. Liturgy: Sunday, holidays at 9h 

Church of Three St. Bishops (Almaska Church)

The official presentation of Novi Sad Tourism Organization: https://novisad.travel/en/

In cooperation with

Collocated with